Friday, December 29, 2006

Polish Light Horse - Senior Officer I

Father Christmas, cunningly disguised as my wife, has given me a wonderful present of a 54mm model of a senior officer in the Polish Light Horse, part of Napoleon's Guard.
This figure is wearing the full dress uniform of 1810 and it will be quite a challenge for me.

Not only will it be my first figure on horseback, it will be painted as if he is on parade. Unlike the previous 4 models which I have painted as though they were either still in battle or were retreating from battle with damaged and dirty uniforms.


The quality of the metal casting is very good, but unlike previous ones I have completed, this does not have so much detail cast into it. Lots of the detail will have to be added by painting.

It looks as though a fair bit of work will be needed with thin lead sheet to make horse reins, stirrups, etc. which will also be a challenge - one I look forwards to.



Here are the two halves of the horse offered up together. There is quite a gap which will need to be filed square and then filled with milliput (or similar compound).

I have already removed some of the few casting marks. This having to fill and file to get a good result has an advantage that you really get to see, feel and know the model that you are working on. This better knowledge of your model's surface, texture and detail means you produce a better result when you get to the painting stage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home