Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The next model - The Retreat from Moscow

The next model is going to be completely different. It will depict a Dragoon, on foot, on the retreat from Moscow in 1812.

His horse has been abandonned and in order to try to stave off frost bite he has wrapped his boots and hands in whatever rags or strips of cloth that he could find.

The Dragoon still holds onto his musket and his once white greatcoat, still lined with red, is all he has to keep away the sub zero temperatures that they faced.

This greatcoat was once carefully rolled up, inside out to show the red lining, on the back of his saddle. Now it is the only thing to keep him warm.





This shows the partially assembled figure from the back. One leg is just visible below the cloak which is shown blowing in the wind.

In the picture I have sprayed the parts with white undercoat (better for photography than shiney whitemetal) and I am holding them together whilst the glue dries. Note the large gap along the join line, particularly at the top. That will require filling and filing until it cannot be seen.



The white gloves are to keep any oil / sweat from my fingers getting onto the model.

More pictures to follow..................
Again, comments most welcome.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Shine said...

Thank you for your nice comments and the visit to my blog. I'm glad you enjoy my work. I look forward to seeing more of yours.

I see what you mean about the gloss look of the 54mm model you did. Nice work by the way, I enjoy the movement of the scene and like what you did with the basing work.

Your painting is clean but needs more contrasts and variation. Highlights and shadows will come easy to you in time I think.

I'd like to get my hands on some display bases like this. Where did you get yours?

Back to the gloss; This would be easily fixed with some Testors Dullcote Spray Lacquer. I don't know if you can get this where you are. I was difficult for me to find here in Canada. If you cannot find this, some Vallejo Model Color Matt Varnish should do the trick. That's what I've used on almost all of the models pictured on my blog. The only real trouble with the Vallejo stuff is that I can only find it in the small Vallejo format and only as a brush on.

Anyway, I've posted a similar answer to your question on my blog as well.

Come by and visit again sometime, I plan on updating soon enough. Hope my response helped.

May 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home