Saturday, May 06, 2006

First attempt.

My first 54mm scale model, although I have done 100s of 15 mm.

This depicts a private of the British 6th Line running past a dead French Grenadier at the battle of La Coruña in Spain 1809.



Painted in water soluble acrylics and finsihed in a matt varnish to help protect it.
The base is original, but I have mounted it on a home turned and polished wooden plinth.


Initially I was very happy with the way this model turned out. Then I coated it with a thin coat of clear, matt varnish.

This unfortunately gave the whole a 'shiny' look, a bit like a toy soldier.

Does anyone know of a truely clear and matt varnish out there?


Comments on the model most welcome. Suggestions for improvements or any other modelling tips welcome too!

My next project is a figure depicting a French Dragoon, on foot, during the retreat from Moscow. I will put up a step by step picture record of how the preperation and painting of the figure progresses.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those soldiers are fantastic!
Can we see more, please?

May 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi. if you got your varnish from gamesworkshop they stopped the matt one 'cos it went white and glossy.

Try satin instead.

May 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vallejo matt varnish spray or Citadel Purity Seal are my recommendations to finish the job.

August 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home